Welcome to Reality!
Regardless of how you stumbled upon this community - we're glad you found us. Browse around these pages to get a sense for who we are and who we're about - but don't let this substitute for the gift of friendship & connection. There are many ways to get connected in community and some pretty amazing people to meet. We look forward to getting to know you & journeying together.
Our mission is really simple
We exist to the make the Reality of Jesus known.
To bring glory to God through lives transformed by Jesus' work and the Spirit's power.
If this sounds like we're speaking Vulcan or some other foreign tongue, go HERE.
Some things you should know about us...
- We don't take ourselves too seriously, we take God very seriously
- We teach from the Bible, and in a way that connects to culture and to Christ.
- We embrace theology, but not disconnected from the heart. Information that doesn't lead to transformation is useless.
- We desire to be a place of deepening Christians, doubters, skeptics and learners
- We welcome the stranger, encourage the friend, and bless those who dislike or misunderstand
- We strive to equip both men & women according to their gifts in ministry.
- We believe in the ministry of all believers. There is no such thing as a 'good' Christian, just a good Saviour.
- We love the city, weep over its brokeness, celebrate its beauty, and work for its renewal.
- We desire to be full of Jesus ~ filled with His Spirit ~ not full of ourselves
- We don't have all the answers, but have confidence in truth
Below are some responses to frequently asked questions about the church designed to give you a picture of our community rhythms & rhymes.
What kind of people make up the Reality community?
What you'll encounter when you attend a Reality gathering is a diverse biblical community where people seek to know and love God, live in community with others and transform the world by serving our city as we think Christ would. Practically speaking, that means the some of us are just checking out Christianity for the first time, while others have been in church their whole lives. Reality participants span different ethnicities, ages and backgrounds.
Everyone is welcome.
LISTEN TO THE GOSPEL IDENTITIES SERMON SERIES HERE
What if I'm not used to going to church?
Then you're part of the reason we exist. Church isn't a place we go to - it's a community we become a part of. So we strive to be an engaging place for those who are curious about God but have never felt comfortable with the idea of 'church'. We want Reality to be a place where you can consider, learn, apply and wrestle with who God is, and what He desires for you and from you. It's okay if you have big questions and a healthy amount of skepticism. There are good reasons for both. Come with a soft heart & a strong mind. You may be surprised to encounter a community where love & life flourishes, and where our identity & worth isn't found in our performance but in a work already finished.
READ MORE ABOUT THE GOSPEL
What kind of church is Reality?
Our people come from a wide-variety of denominational & religious backgrounds. We're Christians in the protestant stream, affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren tribe, and the C2Cnetwork - groups deeply committed to Gospel-centred urban church planting.
READ MORE ABOUT OUR BELIEFS
What's the deal with with the name "Reality"
At first it may seem a bit presumptuous. I mean, who are we to have the corner on 'Reality', right? What makes our 'reality' any better than anyone elses? But what if it's not about our idea of reality - something we've crafted to meet our needs. What if Reality was something revealed. Something we'd never come up with on our own. What if there actually was something, or someone, who embodied truth? What if there was a great Story that helped make sense of ours?
The Scriptures talk about Jesus being Reality (Colossians 2:17). Jesus, himself, being God's revelation of truth. That's where we get the name, Reality. Because we want to remind ourselves and reflect to our world that Jesus is Reality. We're really into him because he has really gotten into us.
READ MORE ABOUT OUR NAME
How can I get involved?
The first thing we invite you to do is participate on Sundays, ask questions, and then join a Community Group. These groups are welcoming communities for everyone at Reality. They gather in homes at least once a week for the purpose of friendship, service & mission, sharing life, discussing the previous week's sermon, opening the Bible, prayer, and - of course - sharing food & beverages! Once you're connected in community, there are oodles of servant teams open for your participation.
READ MORE ABOUT COMMUNITY GROUPS
Who are the leaders?
- Jesus is our Senior Pastor (Great Shepherd) and it's His church. We endeavor to follow His lead in all areas. contact Jesus (pray)
- Our Elders include: Kristian Martens, Rudy Unger & John Hau. They can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristian serves as lead pastor and is married to Susie. The Martens have 6 wild & wonderful children and live in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood.
- Rudy serves as treasurer and is married to Vicki. The Unger's have raised children and foster children, and are now loving grandparents and marriage mentors. They also lead our ministry to the deaf community.
- John Hau serves as secretary and is married to Sarah. The Hau's have 3 children and live in Gastown. They also serve with Power 2 Change | Student ministries engaging the next generation of leaderes with the Gospel.
- Our Deacons and Staff are the servant leaders within the Reality family. Information and contact info can be found HERE
These answers were helpful, but how can I find out more about the church?
You can email us or continue exploring our website for more information.
Regardless of where you are on the spiritual journey, there’s always a place for you at Reality Vancouver Church.